There are many opportunities to get involved with The Greenwood Promise! Please let us know your interest and we will contact you about supporting the education of Greenwood County youth and economic prosperity for the future!
- Mentor a student
- Offer a scholar part-time work or internship
- In Kind Donation (food, professional services, meeting space, etc.)
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
Mentoring has significant positive effects on two early warning indicators that a student may be falling off-track:
High levels of absenteeism (Kennelly & Monrad, 2007)
- Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class. (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters)
Recurring behavior problems (Thurlow, Sinclair & Johnson, 2002)
- Young adults who face an opportunity gap but have a mentor are 55% more likely to be enrolled in college than those who did not have a mentor. (The Mentoring Effect, 2014)
- In addition to better school attendance and a better chance of going on to higher education, mentored youth maintain better attitudes toward school. (The Role of Risk, 2013)